Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Ironies of Life

A few hours ago, I returned from the General Relief Society Meeting. The meeting was wonderful, and I felt particularly inspired by Elder Uchtdorf's talk. It was all about happiness, a topic that I have personally pondered a lot. What I got out of it was, that the way to happiness is by creating and beautifying, and by having compassion. You can create and beautify in many ways, such as on the inside of your home, and outside, as well as within yourself. During his talk, I pondered what I was doing in terms of creating and beautifying that was making me happy. One thing I thought of was my garden-- a small space and probably equally small harvest, but something that brings me joy. The garden that I began in the Spring has all but ended, and just this week I planted two different kinds of lettuce, and some broccoli and cauliflower, for the Fall. They are tiny plants now, but while I planted them, a process that took several hours, I dreamed of the salads that I could create with my small harvest. I have learned a lot about reaping what you sow, and planned to take good care of these little plants.

Imagine my reaction, then, when I come home tonight feeling quite uplifted and inspired to be happy and create beautiful things, and Chad tells me that while I was gone, Aubrey pulled up all my lettuce and cauliflower! I was very unhappy that my beautiful creation, my garden, had been destroyed by another one of my beautiful creations, my daughter. (To her credit, my sweet daughter thought they were weeds, and she was pulling them, to make me happy). Actually, to say I was unhappy would have been an understatement-- flaming mad would have been more like it, though I was fortunately able to stop a bad word from coming out of my mouth. (But unfortunately unable to stop myself from slamming the back door. Twice.) Aubrey actually replanted the plants she ripped out, and I went out and made sure their roots were buried deep, but they are wilted and sad-looking, I am not sure if they are going to survive. I was disgusted and angry that the time and money I put into my garden had been wasted, and was agitated at the unfairness of my situation, especially after I had just been inspired to create and be happy. I fumed about it as I cleaned the house, and folded laundry. And I eventually came around to the conclusion that it is just lettuce, just a thing, and as the saying goes, people are more important than things. And with enough tending and care, my vegetables might make it. But more importantly, I had forgotten the second part of Elder Uchtdorf's talk, the part about compassion. Though I was angry, nursing angry feelings towards Aubrey, (especially when she truly had good intentions), was not going to make me happy. I am glad for Elder Uchtdorf's talk... it became apparent at my reaction of my garden's demise, that I needed to hear what he had to say... perhaps if I was perfect at being happy despite life's circumstances, I would have reacted differently. I'm grateful for modern day revelation. And for the small ironies of life that help us know what we need to learn. Even though I still hope and pray my garden will make it.

16 comments:

Sunnie said...

i am very sorry if my two little ones had anything to do with the destruction of the future salads. mya doesn't even like salad:) thanks for coming with me tonight!

Jana said...

I am so sorry that happened and totally understand your frustrations. I am so impressed with your ability to see through your anger and find whats most important to you. I don't know if I would have been able to do the same and so quickly.

Slim said...

What words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing your experience and insight. You have the maturity and are the kind of person who recognizes truth and can apply it in your life. It's hard to make the connection sometimes, especially when life's happenings are so frustrating. Thanks for your inspiring thoughts! Even if you can't eat your homegrown salad, you will think about what you learned as you eat the store bought stuff! :)

Braden Bell said...

Good luck, Kristin! I can understand that frustration so well!!!!

123 checkoutourfamily said...

congrats on the dish! It's funny how sometimes what we learn is tested...almost immediately. It sounds like you got to experience the lessons of his talk. You have a whole lot more patience than I do. :)

Whitney said...

Lovely post Kristin. I too loved that talk. Sorry to hear about your garden. I can relate to the frustration! And as for the DirectTV...Go Cougs!! I have some great memories of watching games with you and Chaddie when you were newly married.

Grama said...

Great blog! Grandpa can use some of your thoughts in his lesson today in Priesthood Meeting. Wish I could convince Grandpa of a "good deal" so we could watch the Cougars! :)

Cristy said...

Thanks for sharing! You've inspired me to write about something similarly traumatic that happened to me ironically before this talk... equal frustrated is me! Hang in there and keep trying to see the positive!

Lindsay said...

That was a good post. I'm sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way but I think you gave a beautiful example of what he was talking about. Thanks for sharing it!

Christy said...

Guilt and motherhood are best friends.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

kissy, i love you. when i think of happiness, you are always one of the first things i think of. you have always been such a good example of happiness. poor you and poor aubs, i can see her distress at realizing she'd done something terrible.

Court and Jill said...

Oh, I'm so sad about your lettuce! bravo for only slamming the door twice! Congrats on the 600 TV channels!!!

allison said...

ditto what Ash said...you should share with me your happiness secrets :) What a good story this is though...and i feel like Ironic things like this are happening to me all the time...poor you and poor Aubs is right. I do that kind of thing to Steven all the time, sadly enough and as much as I'm ashamed to say...like when he decided to helpfully do laundry and washed my cell phone at the same time...at least you can feel good also in knowing that you raised her right because, as you said, atleast she ripped them out in pursuit of what she thought was something good for you!! :) Love you kissy.

Ash said...

Hey, sprouts are better for you anyway! Way to go on all your new skills. Call me if you ever want to Mod Podge anything!

scraphappymama said...

good job on the gardening anyway. my garden that i carefully cultivated, has met it's demise. I really need to get in and weed it again - maybe you could send Aubrey my way :)

hope the lettuce makes it!!!

Carrie said...

makes me sad about your garden. glad you realized what you did though! wish i could have gone to the broadcast. it sounds like it was really good.