Monday, October 20, 2008

As if on cue...

Little Anders Johansen turned 2 this weekend. And as if on cue, all before 11:45 a.m. on his 2nd birthday celebration day, this is what he did: He threw a whole bowl of food all over the floor, pulled out part of a box of wipes, pulled out part of a box of Kleenex, opened up a wet diaper from the floor and pressed it to his face, and also played in the toilet. That night, he awoke at the bright and early hour of 2 a.m., thinking he was awake for the day, until he was finally ready to change his mind two and a half hours later. Do I remember that this is called the Terrible Twos for a reason? Oh yes, it is starting to come back to me very clearly.

Regardless of the antics of His High Mischeviousness, we wanted him to have a special day. But how do you make a special day for someone who doesn't even know it is his birthday? We decided to do the things he likes. (which might make him think every day is his birthday, because that's mostly what we do anyway).

We had his favorite breakfast: Pancakes (with lots of butter) and Bananas and Strawberries


Played with Uncle Ritchie, putting money in his bank. (He better start saving now if he's going to have any money at all)
Played on the Sit N Spin with sis
Jumped on the trampoline. Alone. The alone part is essential because otherwise he doesn't get to jump. He gets jostled and bounced around. Not very fun when you're 2 years old and only have 20 lbs of body weight to hold you down.
Had birthday lunch of hot dogs, chips, and more bananas. And "juice", which really, is anything in a regular cup. The Birthday boy sat at the table, while the other boys (Dad, Grandpa and Uncle Ritchie) sat watching football. Andrew lost his eating-in-the-living room privileges after the aformentioned food throwing episode. But the girls were happy to sit with him.

His birthday cupcakes were works of art, really. Since the child could subsist solely on marshmallows and M&Ms, that is what we put on the tops of his cupcakes. The only thing missing were gummie bears, if you recall. (Oh wait, he ate all those the other day).

I wanted to see if he liked the sparking candles any more than his sister did:



He didn't. (Aubs was more than happy to blow out the other one though)
Oh, but he'll come back for the marshmallows and M&Ms.


Toys, toys, toys. It was like Christmas around here. Aubrey was ever so helpful with opening all presents, including cards, this one from Grammie and Grandpa.



A remote controlled car, which I had just seen on Jon and Kate Plus 8. He's traumatized by it, but the rest of the family loves it! (especially Aubrey).



The large box a toy came in, also doubled as a ball pit. Fun for the kids. Especially the clean up part. A million styrofoam packing peanuts all over the floor! Wheeeeeee!



No, no, Andrew. They're styrofoam peanuts, not real ones.



Here's some great pics of Andrew:

(I almost just posted one when they were pulling him out of my belly, but it was rather graphic, so I decided to post the one of my meeting him for the first time...)
This one makes me laugh every time... He cried a lot when he was new, and Aubs tried to be patient...


I know, a lot of up close and personal shots, but hey, I just love his face. He got a lot happier as time went on.

But still, there are some days he's not always smiling:

Some other sides of Andrew:
These are some of the most recent ones we have:

Happy birthday Andrew, you crazy little rascal! We love you!

19 comments:

Christy said...

awwwwww, so cute! I love two they say so many funny things... four was rough but two is good.

Sunnie said...

cute cute! love all the fun old pics. jake also loved that remote control car. he needs a son so he can get fun toys to play with like that.

Ash said...

So, I haven't seen your blog for awhile and I really like the glasses. In high school I bought some fake glasses (since I don't need real glasses) because I thought they looked cool. Still do. Good choice. Also, I love Andrew's face too. Keep the close-ups coming.

Julia said...

happy birthday andrew!! love the dessert idea. you are such a great mom!

allison said...

Oh my goodness he's so cute...and I'm just realizing something...and I'll be calling you tonight.

Anonymous said...

What cracked me up was when he started chasing me around the trampoline --he disappeared, and headed me off at the pass by running full speed UNDER the tramp! (didn't even have to duck his little head). Something electrical happened underneath there, because when he ran out every single blond hair on his head was standing on end!

Liz said...

It is as if by magic that these 2 year olds turn two and BAM- the terrible twos have arrived. I always thought the 3's were bad with my other two, if they're worse than 2, I'm in BIG trouble.

Happy Birthday Andrew! I'll post our birthday tribute if I ever get in the mood to scan some older pics.

scraphappymama said...

Happy Birthday Andrew!!! Looks like fun was had by all - who wouldn't want cupcakes loaded with candy?!?! I wish I was 2 sometimes :)

travelingtxmom said...

What great photos of the birthday celebration! And I love all those retrospective pictures you posted, he does have one of the world's greatest smiles. I love that little man.

Kimberly said...

What a cute cupcake idea. Glad he had a great day, looks like you had fun with family around.

The Funky Bunch said...

That's so cute. I can't believe he's two already! That's crazy. It really goes by fast. Love the cupcakes. They look so yummy!

travelingtxmom said...

I can say without prejudice that the little man is absolutely, positively my favorite grandson, no question. Thanks for the pictures. It was very hard for us to be 9000 miles away but we enjoyed the video call. Give my little buddy a hug and tell him I love him the next time he throws his food on the floor.

Grandpa

Lindsay said...

What a good little man. It was my pleasure to spend the wee hours of the morning with him on his actual birthday. I got some really cute pics of him too. I'll post some and send them to you. It was definitely a great birthday weekend. We love you little man!

Carrie said...

oh he is so big!! and so cute!! that smile is heart melting!! and just for the record, i had forgotten about sit'n'spins and now i think i will have to buy one in the near future!

Quite Content said...

What a fun little guy who is not so little anymore. Love, love, love the pictures of the little man in your life. He is adorable.

Lisa said...

Oh, that little boy is very entertaining! He is so cute, and he just keeps getting cuter! I'm glad he had a happy day, and we wish we could have come to the celebration! We love him!

Slim said...

Andrew is so cute. He is our favorite face to watch sitting in Sacrament meeting. My kids LOVE to watch his eyes. We call him "High Beams" very affectionately because he seems to always have his "brights" on. What a cute boy!

Missionary Mom 09-11 said...

Happy Birthday Andrew!! He looks like a big boy in the last two pictures! He sure keeps us all entertained!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute boy, always has been. THanks for posting his birthday!!!