Life with my favorite two year old
Life with my favorite two year old includes this:
(Please notice smeared cookie dough on countertop behind him. Shoot! That two inches he's put on since September really helped him out... his fingers juuuuuuuust barely reached high enough to squish without being able to grab the whole thing...)

Bye, bye, Aubrey's little fledgling acorn squash... (but shhh, don't tell her, because she's forgotten about it). Bye bye also, to a total of (so far) 11 tomatoes which will never make it to their full stature, much less one of my salads, due to some short person's overzealousness in picking.

Life with my two year old also includes this:
I've give you one clue who did this: 
(I found this severely finger poked lipstick after the fact and so I know there's got to be pink lipstick smeared somewhere where it shouldn't be.)
(I found this severely finger poked lipstick after the fact and so I know there's got to be pink lipstick smeared somewhere where it shouldn't be.)
We had stake conference yesterday, and while I went optimistically, about halfway through I was reminded why I don't particularly like sitting through what is essentially double sacrament meeting, and this is why: we had to be there almost an hour early for Chad to practice with the choir, which meant he would be sitting with the choir, leaving me alone with the children. I am supportive of Chad singing in the choir, as he has an amazing voice, but being alone with the children during two hours of "let's be quiet" reverence time is not my favorite thing to attempt. I try really hard to keep the kids and myself in the chapel if at all possible, I was ready to do battle though and had brought as many small, quiet diversions as I could possibly fit into my canvas bag, my purse, and Aubrey's church bag. I felt sort of like a pack animal, weighed down with those things, my scriptures (which I'm not even sure why I brought... did I actually think I'd get to follow along?) and my now 21 lb. boy (hooray!).
Having gotten there an hour early, by the time we were an hour in to the actual Stake Conference, my kids had already put in their two hour's worth and were ready to go. Aubrey was true to form helpful, even though she had to go, "really bad" several times. Andrew however, was fit to be tied. He'd played with everything he wanted to play with and he was done. By some miracle, I found a package of Princess fruit snacks in my bag and split them between the two kids... five for Aubs, five for Andrew. Aubrey savored each glass slipper and princess face one by one. Andrew stuffed them all in his mouth. At the same time. And then proceeded to choke on them. I didn't realize he'd tried to swallow all of them at once until he started coughing. Then choking. Then gagging. And turning beet red and stamping his feet. All in the back row of the chapel. I started panicking along with him, as quietly as possible, mind you, and whacked him on the back, hard, a few times. I am happy to report they all came back out. And into my hand. Yummy. The lady next to us was nice enough to hand me a napkin from her purse and a bottle of water for Andrew to take a drink. He did take a drink, and then he screwed the lid of the bottle back on just enough to keep it secure while he squeezed the bejeebers out of the (full, except for a few sips) water bottle from below. Wow! Water fountain! That was fun. It was like one of those umbrella style fountains at a water park, and it had the same drenching effect: Andrew was very wet. So was I, since he was on my lap. I waved the white flag of surrender. We left the chapel. We stayed out for pretty much the second hour. Even though the name of our ward is the Parkway ward, sometimes I feel like a member of the Hallway ward, especially at Stake Conference. But I was never happier to be there. Andrew too. We dried out. We laughed. We went home. Happy to be done with that for another six months.
I don't know what to do with him sometimes!
And yet, as rascally as he is, I know I'll never have another child just like him... this boy who leaves finger smears in cookie dough and lipstick, and makes fountains of water bottles during church is the same boy at dinner who cleans his plate, hands it to me, and with a smile on his face says, "all done! thank you!" And when I ask, "is it time for a nap, Andrew?" he says, "yeah!" and runs into his room to his crib, no questions asked. This boy who closes himself in the pantry (and now also his room and bathroom) and spills potting soil all over the kitchen floor is the same boy who if you ask for a kiss, he'll always give you two. Or three. Or unlimited. At the same time that he dismays me, he delights me. While life with him can be exasperating, it is also exhilarating. And that is why I love my two year old.
14 comments:
Boys are the BEST! You gotta love their craziness.
Nevermind the kids having a hard time sitting there for 2+ hours... my behind hurt pretty bad after 1 hour.
I don't know if you were at the fisrt or second session but we had some interesting thoughts included in the opening prayer of our session.
Sweet post Kristin. I am afraid I am just a year behind you in having the same kind of rambunctious little boy. I think Gabey has lots of the same characteristics that Andrew has. They all come with their own little personalities!
I love it! I was watching the previous post again last night because I was missing your blogging and your funny stories, so thanks. I also believe you called me before my phone went dead so I need to call you back. Anyways, he's lookin' like a healthy little chunk of a 2 year old! I'm excited for his weight! I'm so excited to see you guys...whenever the next time is of course. Graduation at the latest anyways (or atleast you then). Anyways...love you guys!
Oh, I love that little man. That was a good post. He is such a good boy. Can't wait to smooch that little face!
That little man! He's such fun. I loved it last night when we got on the webcam and he came running over saying, "Grandma! Grandma!" and wanted to chat. He totally made my day. Kiss that little rascal once or twice for me will you?
I LOVE HIM! I wish I could fly to Texas right now and see all you.
What a great post. I needed that because lately little Taylor has been doing one mischievious thing after the next. It is cute, but she is a handful. Thanks for the sweet reminder of how cute our little ones are.
I'm glad we all blog about the good and bad! My kids are darling too, but yesterday when I found lanolin all over everything, they weren't so darling... thanks for the laugh! And your boy really is darling.
Oh Kristin, that sounds so funny to me and so terrible when I imagine it in the first person.
he is just too funny. i love it!! Im glad you can laugh at everything!!
That's so cute. It amazing how much we really love them even after all the crazy things they do. I think that's WHY we love them...because they make life exciting with all the crazy things they do!
There is nothing that brings me more joy than to watch that little guy come churning his little legs full speed up my walkway -- huge grin on his face and ready to play!
Yeah, going an hour early to S.C. doesn't help...I love the pictures of the cookies smeared!
Andrew is so awsome. Scott and I love the post. Could not stop laughing. You can appreciate it so much more when you have a toddler yourself.
Post a Comment