Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Aren't kids awesome?

Of course we have our share of kid related drama at our house every day. But sometimes we get things like this:


"From Aubrey To Dad. It's such fun haveing a dad and I mean it" written with dry erase marker on the bathroom mirror. I love it!
Also, we have slowly but surely been making our way through the Book of Mormon as a family now that Aubrey can read really well. She's done a lot of reading of verses and we have had some great discussions. We don't get very far each time because attention spans don't last and I'd rather have quality than quantity. We recently finished 1 Nephi and Aubrey was so excited to see how far we've come. The look on her face as we accomplished a small goal was priceless and I look forward to reading more. It's easy to get bogged down in Isaiah with little kids (heck, with adults too) but we made it through 1 Nephi, so we'll just keep plugging along. She also surprised me with her choice of reading material at bedtime: We are currently reading sections of the Joseph F. Smith manual, interspersed with Frog and Toad and Fudge-a-mania. Again, we don't get very far each night, but it's amazing to see what she is interested in and she amazes me with her understanding. It's fun to see her little testimony grow.
So even though sometimes I want to tear my hair out with my children, it's refreshing to have these reminders that my kids are strong little spirits and I am lucky to have them.

8 comments:

mommymoocow said...

Those memories of reading scriptures are choice, and I am convinced that for some reason, reading the Book of Mormon helps children improve their reading skills. It is a great way to end, or begin, the day.

travelingtxmom said...

I love that girl, I'm so glad she loves a book that is so dear to my heart, just like her. Good for you and her "fun" dad for introducing her to it.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

i have a hard time thinking of an aubrey big enough to write that. i miss her.

allison said...

My goodness that girl is cute...I agree with Ashley, I can't picture an Aubs that is old enough to do that. I can't wait to see you guys!

Lindsay said...

I love that kid! I noticed that she had the Joseph F. Smith manual..she's so great. I'm glad she's being taught such good habits :) by her stellar parents.

Slim said...

What a cutie! I'll bet you were glad that is was dry-erase marker instead of permanent.

Anonymous said...

that is so cute!!

Berly said...

I love the note on the mirror. How sweet. we also just finished reading 1 nephi and kaylee was so excited. It is great to see them understanding and wanting to accomplish their goal.