Sunday, June 14, 2009

Andrew

This is more about Andrew...


He is getting very opinionated about what he wants to wear. He loves cars, and the movie Cars, but he especially loves fire engines and police cars, and we have several shirts that feature these things, and he always asks for them. "woo-oo, woo-oo" is police car, ambulance, or fire engine, but tonight he actually asked for the 'fire truck' shirt. (can't remember the pronunciation). Which is not really a pj shirt, but he wore it anyway. Several days he has worn his Cars pj's all day because he didn't want to change. He also loves his Cars crocs, but recently has asked me to put on these other shoes, some tennis shoes, "Dees mommy," and holds them up for me to see which shoes "these" are. He's talking so much, he amazes me with his progress.


He has been sick lately, but has started getting so picky about food! I don't actually blame him... we've been stuffing him chock full of fattening foods, like cheese, peanut butter, and stuff like that, and he has just decided to revolt. He's tired of us giving him the same old fattening stuff. So he doesn't eat peanut butter. He doesn't eat cheese. He doesn't like sour cream, cream cheese, and sometimes even yogurt. He doesn't like too much butter on anything. He won't eat a slice of bread. He won't even eat cookies! That's when you know it's bad. Fortunately, ice cream is still on the good list, at least some days, so we try to keep that going down the hatch. We still are super charging his milk with Carnation Instant Breakfast and Pediasure, and theoretically, we could have him drink all his calories, but then we're setting ourselves up for even more pickiness later because he doesn't want to try different textures, which we're already seeing. What's a mom to do with this boy who is almost 3 and just 22 pounds? He ought to be 26 lbs, is what they told me at his last visit. We'd even settle for 24 lbs. But in order for that to happen, he's got to eat something!!!

It is a little unsettling to see your son playing with Barbies, or putting on his sister's dress up shoes or headbands, but that is just what Andrew is doing lately.

I don't know if it has to do with the fact he's starting to be interested in potty training or not, but Andrew is obsessed with bums. It's not enough for him to point out his, mine, Aubrey's, whoever's, but he also finds elmo's and whatever stuffed animal he happens to be playing with. We've got to stop him from being so obsessed! It's embarrassing! Please tell me this isn't a boy thing and we just have to deal with it...


But about potty training, Aubrey is actually trying more with Andrew than I am. Every once in a while, I'll ask him if he wants to sit on the potty, and before he gets in the tub, I make him, or if he asks, I let him, and sometimes he really goes. And when he does, I make a big deal out of it, and dance around and sing a silly song, and then he gets a car sticker. But this is just very occasionally. Aubrey asks him all the time, she encourages him, and she even made him a potty chart. (if you can't read what it says, it says, "Andrew's Potty Chart Go Andrew" (I don't know if she meant the "go andrew" part to be literal, or just encouragement). As you can see, he hasn't done too well on it, but she is always asking him if he wants to sit on the little potty, and is very helpful getting him on it. We will see what happens with that. Maybe I can just let her take over the potty training of her brother. She'd do a good job.



4 comments:

allison said...

man, you went on a posting frenzy! woo hoo! I get sick eating fatty stuff too if I'd had too much, I can't blame him...but that's so great that he's talking so much more. And that bum think cracked me up...hopefully it's just a phase? I wouldn't worry about the barbies and dress ups...as I recall Mom dressed Uncle Ben up so much she had a girl name for him...("Reedis?"). And that's so great that Aubs is so helpful potty training, my goodness, that girl is cute.

travelingtxmom said...

Oh my gosh, that potty chart has me laughing out loud! What a helpful sister she is. Just don't count on my doing the training that week that I'm there, but maybe I can get him to eat some Indian food...not.

BTW, Aunt Heidi & I did dress Uncle Ben up, complete with a wig, but only once or twice, and his cowboy clothes were still his favorites.

Thanks for all the terrific posts!

Lindsay said...

lol, this was great. I think he's a normal adorable 2 yr old. I love that boy! The potty chart is awesome :)

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Hahahaha

I wish that I had that same probably, having to ADD some pounds!