Awesome preparedness tool!
As many of you know, I am the preparedness specialist in our ward. I was maybe not all that surprised when I got called to it, because I have felt the inclination to become more self-reliant for a couple of years now. I have tried really hard to successfully grow a garden, to put money away, and to have food storage. I have to say, that I now love food storage! I love the concept of never running out of anything. A while back, we rearranged our budget so that we could beef up our food storage essentials. We created a spreadsheet that allows us to track what we have, how long it lasts, and then how much we need. I am a super low tech person, so this was not a fancy spreadsheet and I was doing a lot of calculations in my head. Then, I discovered in some of the preparedness websites I like to visit, that there is a tool already created that you can just plug in your info and it will tell you many days worth of food you have based on what you're storing! It's the Food Storage Analyzer on the Emergency Essentials website. I'm probably a food storage nerd, because I was so excited about it. I tried it out, and it is so easy. It calculates your totals based on how many people are in your home and what their ages are, so it's based on correct calorie intakes. It is not just a calculator, because not only does it tell you how much is stored per person, per day, but it also gives you nutrition information on what you already have! It is so cool! I now know that I need to include more foods with Vitamin C, something I never would have known before. The other awesome thing about it is that you can input all the different types of storage you have, and it converts that information for you... for example, I am a pro at having a lot of canned goods from the gorcery store. But a lot of food storage comes in 4 or 5 lb increments, making it hard to know how much of those canned goods you need to equal 1 10# can. But this Analyzer tool makes it so easy! I was so excited every time I clicked "calculate" and the number of days of food I had increased. Everyone should go over there and try it out! It is so enlightening. It totally takes the guesswork out of food storage. I love it!
Also, as a bonus, if you do go over there and try it, you have an opportunity to receive a $10 gift card from Emergency Essentials. Just for trying it out!

10 comments:
I will have to check that site out. I too have tried to creat my own and know it is hard and love to find someone who has done the work for me. YOu might also check out this site I have loved it and it's sister site that has recipes for food storage. http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/helpful-tools/
I linked you to the page with the calculator for meal planning for 3 months. You plan the meals and it help create a shopping list to buy what you need.
Way to go Kristin!! I am so proud of you and all that you do. Did I ever give you a yellow spiral book entitled "Basic Food Storage Cookbook"? It was put together by a Stake nearby and is full of good ideas. I discovered I have two in my closet and would be happy to send one to you if you don't have it.
Cool! I'll have to check it out. I wonder if it will work for Indian food????
Kristin you're awesome! Thank you for sharing this. We've also tried spreadsheets and all sorts of ways to track food storage. Isn't it great to prepare? It brings so much peace!
I am excited to check it out! thanks for sharing!
Sarah
This is awesome, I'll have to give it shot!!
thats awesome! thanks for sharing! it sounds like it has everything!!
I was just saying today that I need to take inventory and figure out what direction to go in with our stuff. I'm going to have to do that.
what a great tool. I need to go try it out. I'll call you about raspberries. I need to go buy some jars too. I'm excited to learn something new!!
I never commented on this post.
I am a food storage loser. I feel like as soon as I don't have a full time job anymore, though, I can transfer all of this organizational energy to my own life. I hope...
Post a Comment