Thursday, January 14, 2010

Aubrey: "My Life is Ruined!"



As many of you know, life with my daughter can be pretty dramatic from time to time. She frequently makes extreme statements like, "you never let me..." or "I always have to..." or things like, "my life is ruined!" to let us know that the life of a seven year old is, so hard and awful. Oh, the agony. I distinctly remember a time when she was probably only two or three and she yelled to Chad and I from her room, "you just don't understand about little girls!!!!" I have half a mind to compile all these statements into a book and then give them to her when she becomes a mother, just so she can prepare herself.

But, back to last Thursday... She has become quite the little bus rider since starting at her new school. We have virtually no issues getting on and off the bus. Her bus driver, Ms. C is super nice, has all her teeth, and greets us with a wave every morning and afternoon. It's simple and it's quite wonderful, really, not having to get in the car every morning and drive her to school and then interrupt Andrew's nap in the afternoon to go get her. It had been nothing short of a great experience. Up until last Thursday. And really, this has very little to do with the bus except that this experience she had happened right after getting off the bus in the afternoon.

So, this is what happened: she got off the bus, came down the steps and gave me a hug. Typical routine. Andrew, who is sitting in the stroller, several feet away from us and the busy street, is waiting for his big sister. She turns from me and throws herself in his direction down the driveway. As she's running toward him, the sweater tied around her waist starts slipping down. Just as I was about to say, "hey Aubs, grab your sweater before you fall!" she trips on the sweater at her feet and goes face first into the driveway. Evidently, she did try to catch herself on the way down but only succeeded in scraping the skin off every single knuckle on both hands. Ouch. It was very, very sad. It is a mental image that I have not yet been able to erase. So sad. She popped back up and I grabbed her and she was crying, and crying, and rightly so, it looked horrible. She asked, "am I bleeding???" all horrified, and I told her yes, and we went into the house to clean her up. When she saw herself in the mirror, she was aghast, and kept exclaiming, over and over again, "I look horrid!" or "I look horrible!/awful!/terrible!/fill in the blank!" And I didn't disagree. There was a lot of blood on her cute little face. And it looked like it hurt. But we got it all cleaned up, and bandaids on her forehead and all her knuckles, (It was a good thing she got a box of Hello Kitty bandaids in her stocking for Christmas-- they were half gone after this fix up job). And I naively thought that would be the end of it. Oh no. I was wrong. No longer is she the girl that can be made all better by a few bandaids and hugs and kisses. No. She is 7. A very melodramatic 7. The next THREE HOURS, count them, 1, 2, 3, hours, were filled with dramatic crying fits, and other exclamations, including, "my life is ruined!" At one point I was holding her, as she enumerated all the people she was going to have to call to tell that at the young age of 7, her life was a wreck... dad, of course, both grandmas made the list, as did the busdriver, and her primary teacher. Even the bishop. It was like that talk in General Conference a while back, she wanted to tell everyone, "hope ya know I had a hard time." Later on, when we did a bandaid adjustment, I was trying to console her and she said, obviously disappointed by my waning sympathy and patience, "but MOM! I almost died!!!!! I had to assure her, no, it was a scary and bad experience, and you did bleed quite a bit, but you didn't almost die. But to her, this was the worst possible thing she has experienced so far in her life. It literally took about three hours for her to wind down.

Fortunately, we're now a week later, and although we've still had some drama over it, mostly, from answering the question, "what happened to your face?????" the face and the life seem to be healing nicely. So I don't actually think her life has been ruined after all. Thank goodness.

12 comments:

travelingtxmom said...

Tell Auby I love her and I hope she heals fast.

Grandpa

allison said...

Oh poor sweet thing. She's still a cutie even with those scabs...I can only imagine how her face hit to get those scrapes, poor Aubs! That's hilarious though that she said she almost died. Never a dull moment.

Ash said...

Yes, I think if it had been me I would have also cried for 3 hours. It looked pretty bad....
Glad she's handling it better now.

Sunnie said...

oh my- i felt so bad for her little face. i can only imagine how not fun that must have been to go through for her and you!

Missionary Mom 09-11 said...

I am so sorry that that happened to sweet Aubrey! Good thing faces heal quickly! Her face reminds me of the time around Halloween a couple of years ago. Someone left a treat and a note on our door and then we had to go do it to two people. So Mark was the get-away driver and I was the "runner". We went to the first house, no problem. The second house I dropped of the goodie and ran with all my might to get to the get-away car. Well, it was dark and I didn't see the 1 1/2 foot retaining wall in my way. I ran into it and face planted right in the neighbors driveway. My whole right side of my face and arm looked like Aubrey's. When I managed to get to the car, I told Mark I was hurt. He thought I had ducked, not fallen! We don't do that little treat delivering anymore!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Oh poor sweet Aubs. I just want to cry about this when I picture it in my head. I love her so much, her melodrama and all. I need to call her.

What did Andrew think about all of it??? I bet he was so concerned!

Grama said...

Let Great Grandma tell Aubrey a little story. The day before I was to begin first grade my friend and I decided to ride my tricycle down a hill that was a great hill for sleigh riding, but not for tricycles. I had been told never to do this stunt, but down the hill by friend and I went. We crashed at the bottom. I was so scraped up and sore that I was not able to go to school that first day. I was so sad, but really more concerned about disobeying. My main concern was I did not want my grandma to know about what I had done. I learned my lesson. I can sympathize with Aubrey about all of those scrapes and bruises. Love you!

mommymoocow said...

Poor Aubrey! It looks like that rally did hurt! Glad she's better now.

Lindsay said...

Oh man, poor sweet girl. I can just hear her saying "My Life is Ruined!"
Oh Aubby. I was laughing hysterically at her list, somewhat sad that i didn't make it. Sweet, sweet girl. Smooch her for me :).

travelingtxmom said...

My poor sweetheart! We never did get to talk to her about it before I left. I hope by now it's looking much better and she's feeling much better. What a great story this is going to be when she's older! Hugs and kisses from Grandma!

Christy said...

This is so funny! Girls are just so different from boys.

Lisa said...

Your narrative is so perfect. I can see the whole thing happening, and I can also imagine the three hour meltdown as well. I'm so sorry! That's so sad for her, and you!! And, are you sure those were her bandaids? Kara's box of Hello Kitty Bandaids from her stocking never made it home (but she hasn't noticed). IF they were Kara's, we are glad to have been able to help comfort in some small way. lol Also, I love Grama and Aunt Heidi's stories. I remember when Aunt Heidi was all scraped up like that.