Friday, January 15, 2010

I Love This House

This is where I live. Over the span of my 28 years, I have lived in this house a total of now, three separate times. It has been my home base, for half my lifetime. In fourteen years, the house has changed, and I have changed, but I never cease to be amazed at how much I always love living here. I was reminded how much last month, when my whole family was here. Now they're gone, and the house is a little quieter, but when I walk through it, the house still .....

This house is where our family took refuge when we moved here without knowing a soul. I was 14. "Tomball? Tomball? Who ever heard of Tomball? I will not live in a city called Tomball." My sisters and I slept in the same room on the floor our very first night. It was scary, and exciting. The land behind our house was a forest of trees and underbrush, and just called out to be explored. Even I, at 14, could not resist the temptation to play-- something I thought teenagers ought not to be doing. Nevertheless, the forest was a treausre chest that always turned up various forms of wildlife and adventure. Once we found a giant turtle. Other times, we were sure there had been snakes slithering around in the trees. And at night, in the summer especially, the frog chorus would come out, and in my mind, I would be entertained with thoughts of what these croaky little beasts looked like, according to the different sounds they made.

This house is where my Grandma lived. On our second time living here, Grandma Barbara was in the room right next door to ours. We saw her day in and day out. Then, when she moved to the house behind, she still came over frequently.

Some people might say, "it's just a house." But it's not. To me, it is much, much more than that. To me, it is the refuge

And although they're gone, I love it even more especially because now I have my own little family of four who live here with me.

This house is what it is because of the people that fill it. There will be no other house like it. I love this house.

No comments: