Saturday, April 16, 2011

I've been in a dinnertime slump. I make the same things over and over and over and it's ceased to be fun. It's probably because I know how to make these things pretty much without a recipe and I know all the ingredients I need and where to find them at the store. In any case, I got tired with the same old repertoire and decided to shake things up a little, you know, move out of my comfort zone. I've embarked on a culinary experiment. And so far these are the things I have discovered:

1. Fresh squeezed lime juice is SO much better than lime juice in a bottle.
2. Freshly grated parmesan cheese is WAY better than prepackaged Parm.
3. Kosher salt adds a much nicer salty flavor to food.
4. Wearing an apron is fun. And makes me look cute while cooking.
5. Cutting green onions on a slant makes them look much prettier.

And I knew this before, but it has been reaffirmed: I love cilantro in anything.

These little changes have rekindled my enjoyment of cooking. Who knew? Maybe this should have been obvious to me, but hey, I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake.

I'm thinking you all should try it.

7 comments:

allison said...

I just bought kosher salt yesterday! I'm glad to see it was worth buying. I will have to try the parm...who would have thought! And the lime juice, I definitely feel the same way about lemon juice. You'll have to pass on any new yummy recipes you discover!

allison said...

PS I love cilantro in anything too...too bad Steven doesn't like it in anything, haha.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

YUM. I think one of the nice things about living out here is that it forced me to take cooking/grocery shopping more seriously since there is a very clear difference between the crappy grocery stores and the nice ones, and the nice ones only have really nice stuff, like a room for cheeses and a mostly local stuff. Anyway, you're right, it's amazing what cooking with a few new/unusually or really nice ingredients can do for you!

Ash said...

Ditto on cilantro. Turns out fresh basil is pretty amazing too. Love the tips. I think I need a really cute apron...
We should get together and cook sometime. It's more fun with a friend.

Lisa said...

You should look on Martha Stewart Everyday Foods. I've been trying out a lot of new ones from there lately because I've been feeling in a slump also. I'm gonna have to try that slanty cut on the green onions, and I've been trying to regularly buy lemons and limes over the last few months too because they are so much better.

travelingtxmom said...

I'm going to try some of those tips once I'm home long enough to cook....

Lindsay said...

Good tips my friend. I'm glad you're working through your slump.