So, I did something crazy...
I signed up to run a half marathon on March 3rd. Maybe this is old news to some people, but, it is news nonetheless. I go from being pretty excited about it to being scared out of my mind.
The longest race I've ever run is a 10K, approximately 6 miles. This was the rodeo run, back in 2007. I ran it without giving too much thought to training and after being away from home for the week prior. Also, I had a sinus infection. Running 6 miles that day was pretty hard. But I did it. And after I kind of got over being sore and feeling like that was the worst thing I'd ever done in my whole entire life, I felt like it would be fun to do another one, or a longer one.
So, when I signed up for this marathon in The Woodlands, and I searched for a training schedule, I was surprised to see that in training I would be running this 6 mile distance, pretty quickly, and quite regularly. I've been running for several years now, and I've gotten into a comfortable, shall we say, slump, of running 3 miles, three times a week. It's comfortable because I know I can do it; I do it all the time, and it's not really challenging. Which is why I signed up for this half marathon in the first place. I needed a challenge. And so, I've really broken out of my slump- out of necessity, I'm running 4 days a week, and it's not ever three miles, it's 4 miles, 5 miles, 6, or even 8 miles, which I did last Saturday. 8 miles- That was hard. The morning of the run, I sat down and teared up a little, because I was intimidated and scared and I thought it would be hard and I didn't know if I had it in me to do it. But I just started going and didn't let myself stop. And when it was over, and it WAS hard, it didn't seem as bad as I thought it would be. I actually ended up watching most of a movie I hadn't seen in a long time. Also listening to music. And mentally running through various high points in my running past: the finish line of the 10k, running a 5K with friends, running in the rain for 5 miles when I was just a beginner runner. Also repeating this quote in my mind, from George Patton: "If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do... the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." Good running quote.
I figure this is a time in my life when I can do something like this. So, I'm going for it. Stay tuned.
9 comments:
I admire your determination to do this hard thing. I can't imagine running that many miles ever! Good luck!!
Good for you Kristin! Loved the quote you shared!
My body can be so bossy to my mind.
I think it's awesome. You can do it. And you will be amazing! (I will eat a pint of ice cream to celebrate on that day, just for you.)
That is great Kristin! I am excited to hear how your training goes and the half marathon.
WOOHOO!!! I can't wait to hear about it! It really is amazing how wonderful running can make you feel. I'm so excited for you. I wish I could be there!
Great quote! I know you can do it, you are good at doing hard things. Love you.
Way to go! I am excited for you. There is no doubt that you will be able to do it! I'm envious. I do not currently have the time or the energy to attempt something like that, so instead, I will happily cheer you on.
Woo hoo! Way to go Kissy. I totally know the feeling of being scared you can't do something. The night before my 10 mile run training for my half I couldn't go to sleep and I was so scared and nervous I felt sick. Steven even left me a little note that I found the next morning encouraging me because I had been talking to him about how nervous I was. You can do it! You can do hard things! I cried at the end of that half partly because I was in a lot of pain (make sure you don't push yourself speed-wise in training! that's a recipe for injury!) and because I felt so awesome that I had done this thing that I didn't think I could do! Whoa, this is a long comment. And I loved that quote at the end, I'm going to steal that. You are awesome!
I am so incredibly proud of you. Self discipline is a great thing and you have lots of it. You are amazing. I am looking forward to following the progress.
Dear Old Dad
Post a Comment