It doesn't have to be a secret
Here's the deal: It is hard for me to have babies. And I LOVE babies. I love motherhood, and I heartily agree with all the cliche statements about it being the hardest, most rewarding thing. I wish I had more babies- but the fact is, most doctors would call what I struggle with, infertility. That's a diagnosis which, I think, is pretty taboo to most infertile, and non-infertile people alike. Probably because there's very few decisions more personal than whether or not to have children, or how many. (A luxury often taken for granted- the ability to bring babies here when you want them). Non-infertile people don't know what to say to broach the subject, or they want to say something, but are afraid they're going to make you cry. And while people do probably say insensitive or dumb things sometimes, (I've done it, and I've been through it), I think the worst mistake that you can make is just to wonder but not say anything at all. Because to someone who struggles to have children, like me, that issue is something that permeates every aspect of my life. It's a big part of my life that doesn't come up often in the course of normal conversation. But it's with me all the time, and I probably want to talk about it more. But because it's an ongoing struggle, I think I probably don't talk about it as much because I worry that people are tired of hearing about me. It is a burden to listen to news like that, I realize. And it's probably true that when I'm struggling or having a bad day and someone casually asks me, "How are you?" that it's more of just a greeting, like, "hi," than an actual invitation to listen to my problems. Maybe not. But I think most people don't like to hear bad news.
I think I have a double whammy taboo because not only do I have infertility as part of my life, I also have the death of a baby. If that's not taboo, I don't know what is. It's even more taboo than infertility and I probably end up talking about Cait (my baby) less, but from time to time, I wish I could talk about her more. Two really big parts of my life, two things that have been part of making me who I am. and they never come up. It's sad.
I think that the people like me, who struggle with infertility are not blameless either. And the thing is, it's not even really infertility. I think it's all kinds of personal struggles. What I wish is that we were all a little more open with each other about our problems. It's okay to be vulnerable. I think most people do not like to burden the people they love, with information that is hard. I don't. Also, I think that most people try to appear to be more perfect than they really are. I know I do. But I think everybody struggles with something, and I think our personal struggles don't have to be a secret. I think we'd all be better off by sharing. Why don't we want to let each other in?
For example, I'm tired of people not knowing that I struggle with infertility: I have two kids. I want more kids. Yes, I have my one girl, and one boy, and my kids are 9 and 5 years old, and you may think I'm done having kids, but I'm not! It just takes me a little longer. We've been trying to have more babies for about 4 years now, and taking medicine since September to help out with that, just as I did before we had Andrew. That's the truth and I really don't want to hide it, but the information hides itself because it doesn't come up in the course of normal conversation, it's not something you just casually volunteer, and most people, caring as they may be, just don't ask about it. And part of that is as it should be, I guess- I'd get awfully tired of everyone I know asking me, "are you pregnant yet? what's happening now? What's the doctor say?"
And as far as Cait goes, I still think about her. A lot. Not really with the same pain I used to have, but lots of times in the span of a week. And it's okay because- it happened. And she's part of me. But there's lots of people who don't even know about her. (And there's lots that do, but don't want to ask about her... even though it's okay, I'm totally okay, and given the chance, I'd probably talk your ear off.)
But here's a statement, true for any personal struggle. I really feel that you can't know me, really know me, and know my heart, unless you know what I've been through. And you can't know what I've been through, unless you ask. I don't want it to be a secret. And it doesn't have to be one.
11 comments:
I love this post because I heartily agree that we don't open up enough with each other. It lightens a burden to share, it increases love for people to know and understand and it give us all a chance to see where others are coming from, and to exercise true charity. Bless you guys-is it too awkward to say that I just love you and Chad? Because I just do.
Thank you Kristin. I have a friend who just lost her baby at 18 weeks and I was struggling to know what to do. I think you answered my questions. You are still often in my thoughts.-Charity
You know I always wonder and want to know how you are. We just don't take the chance to talk as much now that you moved out to Egypt:) my sister struggles with infertility also and has been through two rounds of invitro that haven't worked. It's a tough thing to go through and I am grateful to have both you and her to look up to as examples of people who stay positive in the face of trials!
Wow this was a great post! I liked what you said because I tend to share a lot of problems and negativity (or so it seems to me...maybe not to the ears of the listener) with you and sometimes I feel like you must think that crazy neighbor of yours is the most pathetic person ever! But now knowing how you feel about people sharing hard things I'll just keep going right along doing it! Talking about deep meaningful things isn't what is hard for me...it is finding the right place and time to do that. I'm excited to know that you have been taking the medication that might help you get pregnant. To say that I hope it works sounds cliche but I really do.
I think you're great, and I think it's great that you're open about these things. I feel the same way, it's important to talk about things and it's great to be open about more things. We're holed up in these individual houses and that forces us to communicate our problems more to people because they're not around us all the time to see those issues come up. It's hard, I think we've lost a lot in our search for privacy, and that's why it's so good and important to be cognizant of the things you need to communicate to those around you. Even though I may be far away, I'm always here to listen, that's for sure! Heaven knows I've unloaded enough on you before!
Ashley told me about this post, and I'm glad I read it. You can talk to me about ANY and ALL of that... I'd be happy to listen (or read), and talk (or write) back. I think I get some of that a little. ;) Mother's who have lost children or have fertility problems (or both) are a club of their own. One that no one wants to be a part of, but once we are, I've come to find we are all there for each other.
I hope you know I'm here to talk about anything, any time. It seems we never get a chance often enough or long enough. Love you.
Love this post. What refreshing words. How are we supposed to bear each other's burdens if it's not OK to talk about it..and yet...it's hard to. But it shouldn't be. Let's all be better. You are doing a great job of it. Lots of love :)
You are awesome and I love you and I love this post. I am glad that you can (and want) to talk about this things. I have tried to talk frankly to you but I'm always a bit unsure, even as your sister. I won't be anymore. And I do think about sweet little Cait too every so often and how she is definitely a beautiful part (past and future) or your life story. You are awesome.
I am so happy to read all these blogs, and sad to think that I am so busy with my own life that I rely more on my sisters' blogs to keep me informed about their lives than actually talking to them.
I agree wholeheartedly with you in that it's OK to be vulnerable. I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately, and only recently realized how much I try not to allow myself and others to be vulnerable. I hate that it is so hard to do this, and also hard to give others to opportunity to do this.
And now my comment is nearly as long as your blog so I am going to stop. But, I love you and I admire you and I want to be there for you, sometimes I just don't know how. (Because I'm beginning to think I am socially inept...)
I love this Kristin. I totally agree. We've been wanting another baby for a little over 6 months (not horribly long, I know) but it has been so hard to be patient. And then a few weeks ago I had an ectopic pregnancy. Surgery, pain and loss. Frustrating, and sad. We are now supposed to wait 3 months for things to heal. Before all of this I felt an answer to prayers to "trust in the Lord." Its the same answer I had before Benjamin. His plan is not my plan... Although I wish it was, I try to find comfort in that. My thoughts and love are with you, Kristin. You are amazing and strong. You are a good example to me.
Post a Comment