Tuesday, March 06, 2012

So I ran a few miles...



And I got a medal for it.

Okay, so it was 13.1 miles, my half marathon. And I finished! So, pretty much, I'm awesome. Actually, I've spent many post race hours dissecting the race and what I thought and how I did- you know, trying to decide if what I did really was awesome. It is funny, people ask me, "How was it?" And I'm like, "I ran. For over 2 hours straight... it was pretty great!" So, here's how great it was, in no real organized fashion.

My two goals, not so ambitious, were, 1., run the whole way, (kind of a no-brainer) and, 2., finish in under two and a half hours. I reached both of the goals, so, unambitious or not, I feel pretty good about it. The race itself was challenging. Not the course, but the mileage, especially mile 11, was difficult. I knew it would be difficult, but I was slightly unprepared for the challenge that would be the difference between my longest pre-race run, 10.6 miles, and the race distance, 13.1. Those pesky 2.5 miles were hard. And I think, due to some over-tapering the week before the race, I was extremely sore afterwards. Also, I didn't stretch afterwards, which definitely did my body a disservice. At church the next day, several people asked, "how are you feeling today? sore?" And by saying, "I'm doing pretty good," I fooled pretty much everyone, except Megan, who plainly stated, (as in, it wasn't a question), "you're walking kinda funny." I appreciated the honesty. Because it was true. I was walking really funny. And true friends point that out for you.

My biggest disappointment about the race (besides the disgusting post-race food I waited in line forever for) was that my phone completely broke down on me, so, I had no music to listen to during the race, something, which I think, compounded the difficulty I had running it... I don't know about you, but I really like running to music, and am apt to think of the songs I run to as friends that uplift and encourage me while running. So to not have that was difficult. And a little bit boring. Also, because the speakers did not work on my phone, I couldn't receive phone calls from Chad to encourage and keep me going. On several pre-race long runs, he'd call and ask how I was doing and tell me various uplifting and rah-rah things which made me happy. So I was sad not to be able to chat with him. And so I think overall, because my music and Chad weren't speaking to me, I was a little bit lonely, despite the thousands of runners running ahead and behind and aside me.

Pre-Race: (Chad ran also, in the 5K, then waited around for about 2 hours until I finished, in the which time, he missed out on post-race kolaches they were handing out)



It was cold the morning of the race. It was like 50. It started at 7:00 and I ran with my friend Melanie for about 1 mile before I realized I was kind of slowing her down, so I told her to go ahead and she did, and I didn't see her again till the finish line.

This was about mile 10, and contrary to what it may look like, I was not using my hands as puppets to keep me company. Chad somehow guessed where I would be and came and found me. It was really good to see him. He got some serious husband bonus points. He then ran an additional 5K, of his own design, because he had walked over to the 10 mile point, so he had to run 3 miles back to the finish line to get back before I did.



This was my fan club, waiting for me at the finish line, complete with posters. They're cute, I'm telling you. I'll rent them out to you for a small fee. Aubrey was there, plus three more of my favorite girls, Izzy, Jenny, and Maddy. And also Megan was there, snapping away with her camera, and we can only hope that she captured me the way she usually does (ie, remember me riding that banana at Round Top?)



In addition to the posters, they also give high fives. They're the real deal.


...And I finished! Chad was right there and was the first one to come and swoop me up in a big hug and tell me how proud he was of me. Besides being a little shiny from sweat and pretty exhausted from running I was super glad he was there. We were together at the beginning and together at the end. That makes me happy.



I thought this picture was funny: It's just after the finish line, I came and collapsed on this hill overlooking the finish to catch my breath. It's like I'm saying, "phone?! can't we be friends? Why didn't you help me?" or maybe just, "bad phone! bad phone! I'm so disgusted with you!"



After the race was over, it was only like 9:30, and still pretty chilly, plus my body cooled way down after running and the wind was blowing and I was FREEZING! I was shivering violently and my teeth were chattering the whole time I wandered around and waited in line for the aforementioned awful food: beef and smelly rice and a tiny bit of chopped up asparagus. (Did I mention it was like 9:30, A.M.? Not dinnertime? I mean, I like beef and rice as much as the next person, but not for breakfast.) So, Aubrey let me use her jacket. I had my arms inside my finisher's shirt and Aubrey's jacket on me, backwards, and it helped a little. But I would have gladly put on that cookie suit of that guy behind me.



I hate for that to be the last picture you see... Please don't remember me that way. Remember me this way:


I started off strong and I attempted to finish strong and I think I did. I'm ready to sign up for another one, so I guess that's a good sign right?

15 comments:

Brian and Kayla said...

So fun to see pictures! Great job Kristin!

Berly said...

Congrats!! way to go...

Emma Jo said...

Amazing!! I am so sad that you had no phone or music, I think that would make me sit down and cry on the curb. You are inspirational and I might just give it a go myself, easy to say when I know I can't for a little while :)
Congrats and great job!!!!

Ash said...

You go girl! (remember when it was cool to say that?) But seriously, you go girl! Love the post and I think you are awesome!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Again, way to go! We should really all sign of for a race together - that would be so fun! One that has amazing post race food that we can stuff our faces with!!!

travelingtxmom said...

Yes, awesome pretty much sums up what you are! I'm so proud of you for pushing through to the end without any music to keep you company. Definitely bonus points to Had for all his support. Love your cheering section at the end. You are just overall great!

Linda said...

Yay, Kristin! So proud of you. And Chad earned some Favorite 4th Child Points, as well! :)

Amanda said...

That is so awesome Kristin!! You did an amazing job. What a great cheering group. Sorry about no music.

Grama said...

It is difficult for Grandpa and I to think that our little Kristin can run for over 13 miles! We are so proud of you! Love the cheering section as well.

Jenn's Mommy Days said...

Awesome Job Kristin! I love your cheering section!

allison said...

Yeahhhh man! You are awesome. Way to go! I remember getting seriously cold after mine too. And I cracked up several times...the cookies suit, hahahhaah. Oh man. You should have run in that puppy. You did awesome and I love that you had such a fun crowd waiting for you. What a great friend Megan is. So awesome.Love you seester.

Lisa said...

I'm so proud of you! And envious of all your hard work and effort! You are so great. I almost teared up at that picture of you and Chad when you said you started together and ended together. Seriously. That was touching. Anyway, way to go! Maybe someday we can all do one together or something like that.

travelingtxmom said...

I am incredibly proud of you.

Dear Old Dad

Carrie said...

Wow that is amazing! Good job! Sorry your phone didn't work for you though. That would be really hard to run all that way with out music! You're awesome.

thetingeys said...

Awesome Kristin! Congrats! How fun.
Btw... I check your blog every once in while. I love hearing what's going in with you. I went down to BYU campus on Friday night to go to the creamery, and it reminded me of all of our awesome freshman memories. And then I saw that where F. smith hall was... Is now just a pile of dirt. I cried inside a little :)
-Suzie