Friday, March 23, 2012

There's a Reason They Call it Paradise

On this day last week, I woke up to this:




The mornings look like this:



The nights looked like this:



And pretty much all the time, we looked like this:



We were so happy to be there. So blissfully happy.

Oahu is so beautiful, at times I felt like crying. The sun, and the sand, and the waves rolling in, were almost too much. I've never really been to a tropical place, certainly no place like this, and it didn't take long for Chad and I to completely fall in love with Oahu. Suddenly, terms like "aquamarine ocean," and "lush vegetation," took on all new meanings; The vast expanse of ocean is an other- wordly blue green (aquamarine), the plants and flowers and other growing things, full and green and verdant and so exquisitely beautiful. Pictures don't even quite do it all justice.





Surrounding myself with these, I couldn't help but feel beautiful too. And happy.



There is a spirit in Hawaii, which is hard to explain precisely, but that I feel encompasses happiness, warmth, relaxed contentment. True carefree-ness. The spirit of aloha. Oahu as a location is so far removed from our real lives, that it was easy to leave all our worries behind. I didn't worry about anything that daily, constantly, relentlessly occupies my mind- children, laundry, food shopping and preparation, etc. etc. etc. We had no deadlines and no obligations. I didn't worry about anything. And the biggest decision we had to make was where we were going to eat our next delicious meal. And we were "we". I loved being with Chad so much. We were together all day long- there were no children or jobs or obligations to keep us apart. And he didn't ever get annoying to me- I loved every minute, I couldn't get enough. The sheer amount of time I spent with Chad was a vacation in itself. It was a delight in every way.

It was truly a vacation in paradise.

To be honest, I almost cried when we had to come back. Yes, of course, I wanted to see my children and friends again, and there is a different kind of comfort in the predictable routine of daily living, but... I had had such a good time. We both had. We were so relaxed and happy and carefree. And it was hard to leave that behind. I'm not ashamed to say that I've been listening to Hawaiian music almost every day since I returned, because it takes me back to Oahu in my mind. So many sweet memories. I don't want to forget. And I want to go back.

11 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Yeah yeah and yeah! I am so glad you had an amazing time...I can live vicariously through you. I need some pineapple.

Carrie said...

I want to see more! I'm jealous. I've been really thinking how we were there nearly five years ago. I want to go back too. Glad you had a good time. And your pictures are great!

Sunnie said...

I told you it changes you! I almost didn't want to read your post because of the horrible jealousy I knew I would feel! So glad you had fun! And sooooooo jealous! Entertaining five children all day during spring break somehow didn't quite compare!

Lisa said...

You are so great. This is the best post. I love that picture of Chad kissing you on the beach. It's so joyful. I am happy you had such a marvelous time.

travelingtxmom said...

I have been waiting to see the pictures. Such a very nice trip. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Dear Old Dad

travelingtxmom said...

I love the way to you did this post! So glad you could include some of your gorgeous floral photos that you loved, as well as the pictures of you and Chad. I'm available whenever you decide to go back again! :)

Grama said...

What a great trip for two great young people! Love all the beautiful photos and especially those of you and Chad.

Heidi said...

What a great trip for you both! It makes me want to go with my sweetheart! Last time I was there was almost 30 years ago, before I even knew who my sweetheart was! Beautiful pictures!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Love it, and between your post and Lisa's about how nice Jeff's job is, I just about want to cry. I would really like a vacation like that. I'm so glad you guys had a great time. Hopefully some day Nate and I can go together.

allison said...

1. You look so happy I could cry. 2. Dang girl, you look gooood! 3. I don't want to spoil the uniquely special thing the trip was for you...so when I say, "I know what you mean! (big sigh)" it's giving your experience there a place of it's own while telling you Hawaii is my "happy place" as well during my rough times during the day. I keep a postcard on my fridge in fact, and I go there often in my mind around 3:00pm. And I eat delicious waffles on the beach of Waikiki with coconut syrup and bask in the beautiful warmth of the sun and smell the wonderful salty spray of the beach and the waves as they roll in...in my mind. I am so envious of the vacation getaway that you got with your best pal. I hope me and my best pal can go off some time soon for even just a few days, especially when I read what you've written! I am so happy you guys went!

Anonymous said...

So fun to see pics and hear about your trip --- glad you could go and that you had such a great time!