Us + Peanut Butter = Not MFEO on this camping trip
Whoa, I'm getting a little wild here, posting more than once a month.
We went camping... Look how pretty it was.
The peanut butter stayed in the truck for the first day because there were no lunches to use it. The second day, I made us all pbjs with the $5 peanut butter, which we enjoyed and then we went for a little walk. We we came back, we were surprised to see little bits of yellow plastic all over the picnic table and the ground and this:
Apparently we are not the only of God's creatures which enjoy peanut butter. This has not happened to us camping in Texas, critters eating our food, and we hadn't thought to put it away. I'm not sure what critter is was though because we never really saw any woodland creatures except birds. Squirrel? They like nuts. Racoon? But it was in the day. ROUSes? I don't think they really exist. In any case, I felt violated by Mother Nature. The lid was destroyed and it didn't seem like anything had gotten to the peanut butter, but I wasn't taking any chances and that meant: No pbjs the third day. We were going to have to have straight bread and mayhaw sandwiches. Good, but a sad second place to the kind with peanut butter in it. I wiped away a tear and threw it in our trash bag. A little later we left again, this time to see some friends who had arrived at the next camp over. We hadn't been gone for too long when we came back and started to work on dinner. We were surprised to notice the black trash bag had been gnawed open, the peanut butter jar discovered and gnawed on some more. This time the critter had eaten more of the lid, decided to try the peanut butter, eaten some of that, and left. Whatever critter it was, it was persistent. I kinda wanted to leave it out then, you know, if whatever it was wanted it that bad... I have no idea how it got into the trash bag, because it was suspended from the lantern pole in our campsite. I don't know whether it was dumb- it ate the lid but not the peanut butter the first time, or smart- it somehow jumped? stood up? clawed? at the trash bag to get it open, and hung on to the trash bag while it ate. But I didn't leave it out because I didn't know what critter it was and I didn't want it inviting its fifty best friends into our campsite for a peanut butter party. So, I think it was not meant to be for us to eat peanut butter. First we left it at home, then had to buy a tiny jar for $5, then it got eaten by wild animals.
Speaking of wild animals, we had some monkeys. (I especially like Yoshi who is also hanging from the tree branch)
Also we shared our campsite with some leaf cutter ants.
This is what Andrew did while we were camping:
This is what Aubrey did:
This is what Winnie and I did:
Chad came too, he was a big part of our trip, but somehow there are not any pictures of him. He was there though.
And everybody waded in the lake. Winnie got a little overzealous and knocked Andrew into the lake. This picture makes me laugh... while Andrew is whimpering about being cold and wet (and who wouldn't in jeans) Winnie looks like she is rolling around laughing in the background. Oh, Winnie.)
On the way home we passed Brenham and so, we had ourselves a Bluebell Country Day. You can't beat $1 scoops of ice cream.
So, it was a pretty good camping trip, even without the peanut butter.









8 comments:
I hear hillbillies like peanut butter...but let's not think about them lurking about your campsite and going through your trash.
Glad you had a good time despite the peanut butter trials. Fun to see the pictures too.
How fun! That is funny about the peanut butter. And sorry to Andrew, but the picture of him all wet from being knocked into the lake by the dog did make me laugh. :)
It was me. I was there and I ate your peanut butter. But really I wish I had been there! I was laughing out loud at the picture of wet Andrew. Haha, poor Sandrew.
Hey, how come I am anonymous now? This is Aunt Heidi!
Okay, this is weird. I left a comment and it said Anonymous. So I wrote the other comment so who you would know who anonymous was. Then it deleted my anonymous comment.
But I think my comment was something like this, "Fun camping trip memories. The peanut butter story will probably always be one of those "Remember when we were camping and......"
Love your style girl! You make me laugh. I think I might just have myself a blue bell country day every day this week. Thanks for the tip! And, by the way, we love camping! That's a hint.
Fun!! I'm cracking up at the last picture of Andrew, poor guy. And Winnie in the background is hilarious. Also, right before we left for Chicago a few weekends ago a bird flew into our house and I just was laughing and thinking of your incident! Our experience was kind of stranger and surreal because Steven just ended up coaxing it onto the lid of a pan and letting it go outside like Mary Poppins. Freaky Bird whisperer. What a fun camping trip you had though! And alas, the peanut butter...maybe it was Winnie crazy secretive, Birdie looooves PB. xoxoo
Post a Comment