Sunday, April 01, 2007

The evolution of me

I've been meaning to do this for a long time. I wish I could say it was because I've gotten tons of requests to show the evolution of the mullet afro of mine, but alas this is not the case. (Though I suppose this post COULD be called The Evolution of the Afro and Curly Mullet). I just felt like I should scan these pictures into my computer for family history purposes. And then, since it was a rather large project, I decided to post these on my blog for all to see. So without further ado, here I am, from birth to now.

This is me at 6 months, under the ubiquitous blossoming tree it seems everybody used for pictures during the 80s. You almost don't notice that lovely parasol behind me. Does anyone else see Baby Brother in this face?

One year old. This begins the journey to my curly mullet. You will notice that by one year of age, I already had the afro well in hand.

Kindergarten. I loved this little blue and purple dress. It had this great little belt which I thought was super cool. I was a little jet setter. I loved kindergarten: painting, playing house, riding trikes and naptime. Though I thought it was a chore at the time, how I wish I was made to take a nap halfway through the day now.

First Grade. Most of my school pictures feature me in a homemade outfit, and this one I LOVED. By now, I am sporting the curly mullet. I did not want to go to first grade, I cried and cried the first day. But then I found a girl on the playground in my class who didn't want to go to first grade either, who was crying and crying too, and we became friends.

Second Grade. Homemade outfit, shorter hair, combination afro and mullet, and a really great tan. We must have gone to the beach a lot that summer.

Third Grade. This was a year that I was in the same class as my sister, Lindsay, because they combined second and third grade. My favorite job in third grade was clapping the chalkboard erasers. My teacher had a chalkboard eraser that was like a foot long. It seems like another place and time, chalkboards and chalk and erasers. Nobody has them anymore.

Fourth grade. This was my first ugly year. This picture was so awful, the afro, the mullet in a low ponytail in the back, the crooked and missing teeth, it's just plain sad. Not even a face my mother could love, because while my other school pictures are 8x10, the fourth grade picture only comes as big as a 5x7. I think I look cute in a awkward sort of way. Luckily, I started pulling out of it by the end of the year, and the mullet sort of became history. I still had the homemade clothes though, and loved 'em. I think this outfit had a matching reversible vest. Fourth grade was the year everybody brought trolls to school, and maybe that's where my look came from. I look like a little troll.

Fifth grade. I'm back on the afro track now, and my teeth are still crooked, but I've lost the mullet for the most part. Fifth grade was quite possibly my favorite year of elementary school. I started doing a lot of creative writing, and wrote several short stories and also made a magazine, all of which I still have to this day. Maybe I'll post those stories someday.

Sixth grade. This is was my peak as far as the afro goes.

Seventh grade. This was when boxer shorts were the fashionable thing to wear for shorts, and I had some green and blue plaid ones, along with some blue and green plaid Converse shoes, also in style. When we bought the shoes, they had a blue and green plaid scrunchie that we also bought at the same time. I was the matchingest child in the whole seventh grade. I wore this outfit on the first day of school too. My mom dropped me off by myself on the first day of seventh grade and I was all alone in this big new school to find my classes with tons of kids I didn't know. My mom feels guilty about that still, but I don't think I've been traumatized.

Eighth Grade. I was wearing boxer shorts with this outfit too, but purple and magenta ones this time. It was my favorite outfit. My hair was getting longer, but I was still brushing it on the top. I had a thing or two to learn about curly hair still. Eighth grade was fun, but it was my Pre-Algebra year, and that was not fun.

Ninth grade. I had just come from marching band practice to get my picture taken, so this is not my best picture. I have yet to discover makeup. But I was a great little flute player in the school's small marching band. By this time, my mullet days were history, but my band director Mr. Edo was s serious mullet wearer, and he also wore big sunglasses with a chain around them so they didn't fall off his mullet covered head.

Tenth grade. I have now discovered makeup, but in the extremely wrong color, at least for lipstick. The Avon lady regrettably did not make a recommendation when I bought from her. Anyway, the orange lipstick really sets off my braces and combed hair on the top. I still have that shirt, and was still wearing it up until about last year. I kind of feel sad when I look at this picture, as it was a diificult time in my life. This is what I looked like when I hung out with the gothic kids at lunch, because I had no one else to sit with. I decided to find some different friends the lunch they started talking about their previous suicide attempts and how to be anorexic.

Eleventh grade. I am actually wearing a cute shirt in this picture, and though I still have braces, I remember figuring out makeup a little better that year.

My Senior Year. This was a good year for me, I finally kind of figured out the right things to wear, my teeth were finally straight, and I figured out my hair and makeup.

Freshman year, BYU.

Freshman year, BYU. I wanted to include this picture of me with straight heair, because I don't straighten it often, but this is what it looks like when I do.

2001. This is the year I married Coach.

2002. Princess was born in this year.

2003. I graduated from BYU.

2004. I couldn't find a good representative picture, but this is an okay one.

2005. Family picture

2006. Chirstmas Picture.

2007. Most recent picture.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few things-

1. I for one did not remember the church kicking in the face story until you brough it up. How did that happen? I do not remember.

2. I saw Andrew in that baby face as soon as I saw it, before I even read it!

3. The picture of you in the blue and purple dress is for some reason sitting on the end table in my living room back home.

4. I think I have you beat in the matching story. The first day of fourth grade, I wore a little pink and white dress. The top was white with large polka dots, the bottom was pink with white polka dots. It was the effect of the t-shirt dress, though it came from Mervyns. I wore one pink and one white scrunchie twisted in my curly pony tail. (side note- at the time that was the only way i knew how to fix my curly hair) But the matching does not stop there. No, no it doesnt. Remember those slouch socks? Well I wore one pink and one white on each foot. On foot the pink was on top, and the other the white was on top. Fear not, we still are not done. Remember those infamous keds? I had a pair of pink with white trim, and a pair of white with pink trim. Yes, your worst nightmare is about to come true. So, the foot with white then pink socks came the white shoe, and the foot with the pink then white socks followed with the pink shoe. Oh man I thought I was so cool! I believe there are no pictueres of this event that occured more than once. My mother was smart and was thinking of the future, although could you see that ensemble popping up in a wedding slide show? HA!!

5. I suppose I will have to post the hot dog story...

Sunnie said...

that is where andrew gets his big bright eyes from! i love all of the pics. i feel like i was seriously the ugliest kid in jr high. i should get all of my pics. the bangs are always good for a laugh. chad looks so young in the first pic of you guys with aubrey.

Emma Jo said...

Those pictures are awesome! A trip down fashion/memory lane. The hair is amazing...you know people with straight hair want curly hair, right?

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. I loved it! I saw Andrew and it amazed me again how much you and Lisa look alike when your hair is straight, I don't think I've seen that straight hair photo before.

Christy said...

You were always really cute and still are... I love looking at peoples childhood pictures, thanx for sharing!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

can i just say that this is wonderful and has made my night (well...that and being able to see newborn Kara =)

Liz said...

My comment didn't work! I cracked up at your fourth grade picture! This was fun- and how cool that you have one for each year of school! Great comparison!

1tiredmama said...

I love this post! It would take lots of searching to find all my old school pictures. I am impressed that you have so many! That may be a project I have to work on.

Lindsay said...

I have not laughed that hard in a long time....and laughing does not come comfortably after one takes a 1/2 hour "core strengthening" class. However, laugh I did as I scrolled through your explanations at each picture. It made me wish you'd had a nicer sister during some of those tougher years....I'm sorry about that. I love you!

Whitney said...

You are so funny Kristin! I'm glad to have your blog site so I can keep up on what you guys are up to. You have a cute little family!