A vice of mine, and Chad's response.
I like ice cream. A lot. And I often feel like the day isn't complete unless I eat some ice cream after the kids go to bed. I have this bad habit of giving myself a sense of entitlement to ice cream or some other dessert (though it usually IS ice cream) after I've had a long day of parenting alone. This is a bad habit, I know. I often justify it though, only half seriously, because I don't drink a lot of milk, and so I feel like I have to get my calcium in somehow. So, ice cream is usually my route of choice to fulfill that requirement. (And whoever it was that thought up the slogan, "Calci-YUM" was a brilliant mind). This need for calcium has increased now that I'm pregnant, as has my desire to eat ice cream by the pint. The unfortunate thing (or maybe it's fortunate, depending on how you look at it) is Chad doesn't often see my indulgences. Tonight was an exception, because he was home unseasonably early, at about 6:00, and after we put the kids to bed, and I did the dishes and took care of things for tomorrow, I sat down with my ice cream. I actually decided to have some pumpkin pie too, as the desserts in our house are beginning to pile up and need to be taken care of before they go bad. So, when Chad saw me sit down with the last piece of pie, (okay, it might have fed two people), and some ice cream, which I had put in the pie plate as well, (purely to save myself doing more dishes by not using a bowl, I assure you), he was amused. I pretended not to notice. He himself had already eaten a piece of cake. But when I finished the pie and started into the ice cream, he asked innocently, "having a little dessert?" and I explained, yes, I needed my calcium, and also I needed to up my intake of vegetables, which justifies the pumpkin in the pie. (Okay, I was stretching it, I know). "I'm just following the FGP," I said, referring to the Food Guide Pyramid. Chad, ever the comedian, knowing full well what I meant, pretended not to know, and asked, "what is that? The Fat Girl Program?" and went away laughing. I glared at him and thought to myself "yes! The Fat Girl Program! It's also known as PREGNANCY, and you helped, thank you very much." But I said nothing. I just helped myself to some more mint chocolate chip. Fat Girl Program, indeed.
23 comments:
ROFL! That is too funny.
Yep, I say he helped out with that a lot. And the baby is hungry too! You eat whatever you want girl! :)
PS- At least it's not dill pickles and marachino cherries like I did with my last pregnancy. Chris had to leave the room! ;)
Too funny! Just know I am still a member of the FGP. :) Tonight I too justified ice cream by eating it with fresh peaches. Bummer I don't have pregnancy as the excuse anymore!
Yep, Erika showed me her blog and so I thought I would just maybe play around and see...I actually kinda like it...especially since facebook isn't loading anymore of my pics...
I'm an ice cream fan myself and love your little article. You're really a good writer...I enjoy pictures more (maybe that's the kindergarten teacher in me) but really, your blog is fun to read. Congrats on your new van...by the way! I saw ya'll drive away in it on Sunday. Someday when we have more kiddos, we'll join the mini van club. :)
And here I thought Had knew better than to say things like that...especially to a pregnant wife! :) If your life were a TV sitcom he would have walked away wearing the mint chocolate chip. I'm just sorry I missed out on the pumpkin pie.
I do want to make it very clear that he was teasing, and completely not serious at all, and that I took it that way. I privately thought it was funny, I just didn't let him know right away. I still am laughing about it though.
Chad is, of course, a much better man than to say something like that seriously to me. Actually, if I had a dollar for every time her reassured me that I wasn't fat, I'd be a rich woman.
For the record, I knew he was kidding, I just want you to tell him what I said! :)
man. i already joined the FGP and I dont even have kids yet... I dont think you are in the fat girl program cause you eat ice cream and pie. We justify it here by adding fruit to it and making it a milkshake/ smoothie thing. Makes me feel better. Hah. thanks for posting.
That was great. You keep on eatin' whatever suits your fancy. And I'll have to have RJ read this post. He'd be amused.
Dad is laughing hysterically!
so so funny. why can i picture jake saying something like that? and to make you feel better, jake and i eat ice cream almost every night, too. i look forward to it. it's so relaxing to sit and eat after kids are in bed. i guess i should be in the fgp too- and i'm not even pregnant. oh well, at least it tastes good!
What? You have to be pregnant to be in the FGP? Ive been there a while...along with the ginormous arm. Pumppkin pie souds good!
hahahahahahaha, i'm going to make nate read this right now!
I loved this post! We all have that guilty pleasure of diving into something so yummy and fulfilling that we could care less who said what! So, here's to you and that little bundle! Enjoy every bit of those fun sweet treats!
Smack that guy up the side of the head -- second thought, let me do it!!
Mama Stolle
Too funny! My favorite after the kids go to bed is Oreos and milk. Cookies and Cream Ice cream comes in a close second though!!
You CRACK me up. I think it's funny that we're all telling our spouses to read this (Jeff is reading it right now on the other computer). If you're part of the fat girl program, then you make it look good, so keep on keepin' on. I almost went to Walmart tonight, for the sole purpose of buying ice cream because I wanted it. I talked myself out of it, but am still trying to decide what treat I am going to have tonight. Rest assured, I will be buying ice cream when I go grocery shopping tomorrow though. :)
You guys are too funny, I love it.
So, that explains my condition too. Of course, soon I will need to redefine my problems. You guys are too funny. I read this last night and it took serious self control not to eat ice cream too. Then I remembered that I was already suffering from heartburn, so the decision was easy ;)
I've been a follower of the FGP for awhile now. Isn't high fructose corn syrup one of the main food groups??
My friend was just telling me that her nutritionalist when she was pregnant(she was having triplets and had to have one) told her to eat a milkshake everyday--made from Hagen Das Ice Cream, chocolate syrup, and a big scoop of peanut butter!! She said it would be a good source of protein! And my friend's husband was there every night eating them right along with her!! So there you go...it came from a nutritionalist!
What a great story! I laughed and laughed! and it made me hungry for mint chocolate chip ice cream...
You are a good sport, I hate it when Hubby makes comments or gives me looks when I am eating my J vitamins (J - junk.)
AHAHAH! I love it, that is really funny. I think you're entitled to ice cream if it helps any...shoot, come Dec. I'll eat that icecream WITH you! Woo hoo! i love you!
Post a Comment