Thursday, July 31, 2008

Happiness is...



Mmmm, homemade bread.

Many of you know of my desire to recreate life as it was in Little House on the Prairie... a simpler time, where families were self-reliant and food was more natural. I know I have over-romanticized the pioneer era and how wonderful it was to the point that I have seriously tried to persaude Chad we needed to build a chicken coop and have chickens in the backyard. (I still would like them, but, alas, (to Chad's happiness) it is against our HOA rules to have poultry. That's okay though, this means I might easier persuade Chad into purchasing a wheat grinder, a sun oven, and a composter, three other items on my wish list). At any rate, I am interested in self-reliance, including growing (some of) my own food and eating more naturally. To this end, I have searched far and wide for a good whole wheat bread recipe. As a novice to the self-reliance scene, I have experienced much trial and error (I'm thinking error prevailed more) but I think I have finally come upon success. Four soft and fragrant loaves came out of my oven today, and I am happy to report they tasted as nice as they looked, especially paired with some strawberry freezer jam I made a couple months ago. There are now only three loaves.
Oh Grandma, you would be so proud of me!

14 comments:

Cristy said...

Mmmmmmm..... looks yummy! I have no excuse to not make bread (My Mom has always ground her own wheat and baked the best bread) but I seem to be struggling with making the "life change." I'm determined to get on the wagon thought within the next year (post baby #3). Way to go with yours! Mmmm.....

Whitney said...

Oooh! That looks so good! You need to share the recipe. :) Also, I love your new blog look...especially the cute pic of your family.

Court and Jill said...

Share the recipe please!!! 100% whole wheat or did you use a combination of wheat/white flour? At any rate, it looks delicious!!!

The Funky Bunch said...

Oh you definitely can't go wrong with homemade bread. It's one of the best scents in the whole world! So d-lish!!

Braden Bell said...

That is so cool. I've been trying to persuade Mere that we should get some chickens, too. For the same reason. What is it with these Stolles?

Christy said...

Recipe please!

I share your dream of self reliant living. Some day I hope to live on a chunk of land with chickens, milking cows, fruit trees and veggies... maybe a bee hive. My dream home will be completely solar powered. The fact that I can't keep a plastic plant alive won't stand in my way.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

kissy i need that recipe. i have tried and failed three times in the last couple months at making homemade bread.

also, i've always wanted a chicken coop but for hens so that we could have fresh eggs (is that what you were saying, or would you eat your chickens?) i would probably become to attached to them, just like the cows, and wouldn't be able to eat them.

good thing you'll wait, though, chicken coops are pretty stinky. nate always talks about the stinky chicken coops in arkansas.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

*too attached


and also, the number of people that comment on your blog make me feel like a loser on mine - where'd you get so many friends? =)

Grama said...

Yes, your Grama is very proud of you!!! They look much better than the eight loaves I baked this week. Maybe you could share your recipe.
Lots of love!

travelingtxmom said...

MMMMM...I can smell the bread baking now! Way to keep at it until you found a recipe that works for you. Those look wonderful, I'll look forward to tasting some in the future.

Carrie said...

I LOVE homemade bread!

Missionary Mom 09-11 said...

I wish I had a heel!!! Great job Kristin!

Lindsay said...

YUM!!! Way to go! I wish I was there to eat it!

Liz said...

YUM! I LOVE homemade bread!