Wednesday, November 12, 2008

We were planning on retakes...

This is Aubrey's Kindergarten picture from last year. When I got it, I pretty much decided it was disastrous. The brown background does nothing for her, her hair is disheveled, and if you look closely, you can see crumbs on her face from lunch. (I'm serious). Who decided taking the Kindergarteners pictures after lunch and recess was a good idea? And she's not even really smiling. (But at that time, it was true to life-- if you asked her to smile, she would pull up the corners of her mouth, no teeth, and slightly close her eyes, for some weird reason... so at least her eyes are all the way open in this picture). Granted, this was the day after I was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital, so Aubrey was out of her routine for the day, but still. This was not the way I wanted to remember Aubrey, who has a much cuter face and smile than this picture shows, but at the time, I did not have the heart to tell her I didn't like her picture. So we kept it. And made a mental note to remind her of a couple key rules on picture day:
1. smile with your teeth... like what your face looks like when you're laughing.
2. be sure to wipe your mouth after lunch. (I even put a wipe in her lunch with a note reminding her again, in case she forgot by lunchtime and by some misfortune again, had her pictures after lunch).
3. Smooth down your hair before you take your picture, and fix your headband. I remember in my elementary days, on picture day there was a mom with a brush, brushing everyone's hair as they filed through the line. I'm sure they don't do that anymore, (and thank goodness) but I wanted to make sure Aubrey's hair looked decent this time.

So this year, I had high hopes her picture would turn out nicely. That afternoon, when she came home, I asked her, "did you smile with your teeth?" She answered me, "No, the picture person told me to not show my teeth." I was so disappointed! I reminded her that she should always do what I tell her, not what a stranger tells her to do, and resigned myself to another bad picture. (and also contemplated calling the school, because, what school photographer tells kids to not smile with their teeth? Whoever that guy is, needs to be fired, I thought to myself).

I didn't really give the school pictures much thought after that, because I just figured we'd do retakes. So, I was surprised when Aubrey took them out of her backpack yesterday, and even more surprised to see this:


It's a good school picture! I think she looks so cute! Her hair is fine, she doesn't have food crumbs on her face, and she's got a cute smile. I was pleased. I guess we don't have to have retakes after all. (And I'm glad I didn't call and get that photographer in trouble... I'm still not sure why Aubrey said he told her to smile with no teeth, but I'm glad she didn't listen.)

19 comments:

Lindsay said...

Okay, that is like one of the best posed pictures (besides Ginger's) that I've ever seen of that girl. Way to go Super!

travelingtxmom said...

She is ADORABLE!!!!! I love that Sweetheart of mine. Thanks for a great smile Doodle!

Kimberly said...

Our pictures were bad last year too, I wonder if that was the photographer that should have been fired. Aubrey looks great!

Christy said...

That is a good picture but I think the one from last year is cute too. I helped at picture day this year and it gave me great insight into how my kid's pictures end up looking the way they do.

I offered hair help to several girls who firmly declined.

Anonymous said...

What a darling picture this year! And I promise, her hair looked darned cute when I sent her off to school last year...

Braden Bell said...

Yay! You got a good school picture. My guess is that it will be the last one, though. Not because of Aubrey, just because that is what they do--take bad pictures of kids.

Genjunky said...

Cute as ever! It is great to catch up with you all on a regular basis. I can't believe how fast they grow.

allison said...

AHH! She's SO cute! I love that picture and I love that blue background! I loved her last one too but this one is must more of a well-kept Aubs picture. She's too cute...I'll be waiting for my copy in the mail... :)

Liz said...

Umm, when did that child GROW UP!!!! Oh my gosh she looks like she's 8 or 9!

Very very cute picture! I love that little outfit! :)

123 checkoutourfamily said...

Ah, that is a beautiful picture! I love the post about her taking care of her brother. How sweet! She's such a little Mama. Andrew's lucky to have such a great sister!

scraphappymama said...

what a cute picture. brooklyn could have used a few pointers. hers isn't the best picture - but Aaron claims that is what makes school pictures so great!!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

oh what a sweet, beautiful girl. i need to call her with the webcam soon.

The Funky Bunch said...

That's a GREAT picture! She looks so pretty and the blue background is great. I can't wait to get Brandon's back. I had to give him "lessons" on smiling for his pics too. Unfortunately we were out of town when they had the first pics taken...so these HAVE to turn out good because they were taken on re-take day!!

Stolle Family said...

Fun to read about your cute kids, Halloween, and soccer etc.
You guys keep life exciting!!!--Elise

Lisa said...

Aw, so cute! So when do I get one? We will gladly replace last year's (even though I thought the crumbs were cute and funny). :)

Grama said...

We didn't even get one of last years pictures with crumbs. We are surely hoping we receive a copy of this cute girl this year! Christmas would be nice!

Missionary Mom 09-11 said...

That is a great picture! I can't believe that they would put kindergarten after lunch and recess last year! What were they thinking! I always hope my class goes before recess and they are 4th grade!

Anonymous said...

i was partially looking forward to a distastrous picture, but that one is great!! what a cutie!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

where did my post go? i like that she had crumbs last year...hehehe. And it stinks that we can't be there to "prep" them just before the pics are shot, but it makes it more "them"