Monday, June 15, 2009

One video and promise of another

Our family plays this fun game called Bananagrams. It has these scrabble-like tiles with alphabet letters on them. One day, after we played, we left the tiles out. A few minutes later, we hear Andrew by the table, holding up letters, one by one, and correctly identifying them all by himself. It was one of those shocking moments where I was like, "what?!?!? where did you learn that???" Because, I mean, we sing the ABCs and stuff, but honestly, I had no idea it was soaking in. When he was going through his Signing Time obsession, he liked the ABC signs one, so I think that helped too. Anyway, he has progressively learned more and more, and I just laugh and laugh, because, this was the child who probably had less than 50 words at the beginning of the year. I'm just so proud of him because his language has almost completely caught up for his age level and he can say four or five word sentences and knows so many more words than he did at the beginning of the year. Including probably three quarters of the alphabet. I have some video of it but it is too long so we'll have to get a shorter one and I'll post it when I can.

Secondly, Andrew has been working on the highly tricky and elusive skill of somersaulting for a while now. He can get almost all the way over, but then he falls to the side-- still fun, even though not quite a true somersault. He also enjoys when we grab his legs and throw them over his head for him-- he just laughs and laughs and asks for more. Today, he was really persistent about doing it himself, and he got it! He pretty much bends himself in half to do it, but whatever works. He had been trying earlier in the day, and it was so funny to watch him try to figure out after he was bent over, how he was supposed to get his legs to come over... he'd walk his legs up until he was practically on his tiptoes, and then lift one leg, and then the other, or lift up one arm and twist it, and then he finally figured out he kind of had to tuck his head in. And then he had it all figured out. And he was proud of himself. You can tell.

6 comments:

allison said...

oh my goodness, i love it...way to go Andrew! I also love Aubsey's cheers in the background.

travelingtxmom said...

That sweet man, such fun to watch him keep trying, and you and Aubrey are terrific cheerleaders!

Lindsay said...

lol, THAT was awesome! I love that boy

Ashley Seil Smith said...

YEAH!!! Oh i love him, Nate and I just laughed when we heard him. And we loved Aubsey's cheers. LOVE them both =)

p.s. Natedog said he liked your cheers, too...and Chad's legs.

Liz said...

Yay for Andrew!! He'll be a stuntman when he grows up! ;) He's growing up so fast- can you believe it!?

Anonymous said...

haha that was cute. i cant believe he stayed on his head that long. and YAY ANDREW for knowing the letters!! very impresive!!