Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Three Empty Boxes of Candles...



Well, minus a few I guess. You know you're getting up there when it takes three boxes of candles to deck out your birthday cake. The big 2-8 birthday came and went. I didn't blog about it until now because the day after my birthday, Aubrey gave me a very clear and direct message about what she thought about my computer usage: We had put her to bed that night and she came out and asked if I would come and lay with her. (She does this a lot and sometimes after a long day, it is annoying, I'm not gonna lie). Apparently I looked torn between going and staying on the computer doing whatever it was I doing (which seemed really important at the time, but now I don't remember what that was) and she said to me: "Mom, the computer will still be here when you get back." Underlying message: "Mom, I am growing up and you're going to miss it because you're giving priority to the computer-- the computer will be here, just the same as it was, when you get back from laying with me, but if you don't lay with me, eventually I will stop asking and you'll miss out on an opportunity for closeness." Ouch, that one hurt. So I am sorry to say, I've not been on the computer much. We're working on that.

So! My birthday. So fun. Chad started off the day by making me breakfast. Which, mixed blessing, because, since he teaches seminary, he is now leaving at 5:45 in the morning. So, thank you so much Chad, for knowing I'd rather sleep in that eat breakfast in bed. So, I woke up, about an hour after he left, to find the table nicely set with a plate of ginormous blueberry muffins Chad had made before leaving for seminary. So that was fun. And then who should walk in the door shortly after, but Chad, who returned from seminary before going to work so he could say hi and happy birthday in person. He's such a winner. So then, after getting Aubs off for school, I decided I should spend my day doing what Andrew likes to do, (and also, what Aubrey likes to do, when she gets home) so I could have happy children, which is what I hope for on my birthday every year. So he watched Elmo and I chatted with my mom and dad on the webcam for a while. Then we ended up going to the park and we had a little picnic lunch there with some friends. It was really really hot at the park but it was fun to be out anyway. Then, Andrew and I came home and he took a short nap while I read a book, and then we went to get Aubrey. She was happy, and we spent the afternoon hanging out and doing whatever they wanted so they would be happy. Then, we went to dinner, because the best birthday dinner to me is one I don't have to make or clean up after. So we went to Cheddar's, which is this fun place we don't get to go to that often. The children behaved pretty well, except for the one time that Andrew spilled his whole glass of water all over the table. And the other time both children were under the table. (Which is so gross anyway). Then we came home and opened presents. And ate cake.



It was yummy, Chad was the cake boss and he did a good job. Then I had a fun friend get together, which I didn't take any pictures at, but I should have. Normally, we go to BJ's or someplace like that, but this time we did it at my friend Ruth's house. We had some more cake and chatted and played a party game! So fun. So anyway, it was a really fun day, and I just wanted to make sure it was recorded.

9 comments:

Sunnie said...

happy b-day you old lady! glad i could join in on the fun!

Genjunky said...

Happy Birthday! A little late - but its the thought, right?

So you too spend too much time with the computer? My children haven't been that eloquent with their desire for me to extricate myself from it yet though.

Take care!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

I'm glad you had a fun day. I'm glad Allison will be here for my birthday otherwise I think it would be a very sad birthday for me.

Lindsay said...

I laughed about the computer thing. I've been trying to stay away too...it's harder than I thought it would be :). I'm glad you had a terrific day. We're sad we missed it...love ya.

allison said...

Funn! Wish we could have been there to celebrate it too. It sounds like you did some fun stuff. Those words from Aubs equals like dagger to the heart man!! She's so funny...I'm glad that you did all these posts, and SOOO excited to see you guys! I hope you got my birthday message too...did you? We left one on your cell.

travelingtxmom said...

I'm glad it was a good day and I'm also glad that you have so many people around you who love you, almost as much as I do!

Missionary Mom 09-11 said...

Glad you had a good day. Love the candles on that cake - so colorful!!

Lisa said...

Wish I could have been there to celebrate too! Looks like you had a full day of fun though! I'm glad.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday kristin!! sounds like a great birthday!