Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Our house...

Well, our house on "22 Piney Way" is sold. It was easy and no longer a concern of ours. Here's some other interesting things going on:

Chad busted his back lifting some heavy boxes. This is his second time injuring it in the same spot. What happens is his muscles clench up and turn rock hard, which causes him to not even be able to stand up for long periods of time. He had to go get an injection in his heiney to unclench the muscles in his back. And I regret that I was not there to take a picture of him at that moment as he so kindly did for me in December. Currently, he is on muscle relaxers which make him fairly comatose. I'm not sure how he handles being at work and I've told him several times to be careful while driving. I'm hoping he was awake for my requests. Anyway, with him and his hurt back and me with my chronic neck pain, I wonder, is this what getting old is like? It's a scary thought.

Andrew is getting older and also chubbier. He is now officially for the first time in his life on the growth chart. 3rd percentile and I'm pretty much busting my buttons with pride. This comes after YEARS of pure butter, peanut butter, nutella, and chocolate milk. And that's just what I ate out of stress. Just kidding. Andrew has been on the high fat diet for years, and it's finally starting to pay off. He also had strep this week and I thought I did too, but it was just Andrew. We've had a very easy going week and we're both recovering nicely. He's such a good little boy you'd never even know he was sick.

Aubrey has her first loose tooth ever at 8 and a half. It's probably going to be in there forever because she's freaked at the idea of actually pulling it out. We'll see. She is taking a writer's camp this summer which is right up her alley. She can crank out a story faster than anyone I know. They are always amusing. She's got a great sense of humor. She took the TAKS test this week and she thinks she did pretty well. I'm sure everyone is happy that it's over.

As for me, I'm finding my way in the world. Still doing destination wedding business and working at the bookstore. It's weird because, I like those things, for the most part it is satisfying and fulfilling, but I still experience a pang of sadness when I learn of another friend being pregnant or having a baby. It is bittersweet to me- I am genuinely happy for these fertile friends of mine but a tiny part of me wishes I could join that group. I know technically I still can, but I think in some ways the sadness for me comes because I know that that time- the pregnant and newborn stage- with the two children I have has come and gone. It's all a part of growing up and watching your kids grow and become themselves will always be bittersweet. I love my children so much! In many ways, it has been a blessing to be in the ward I'm in, but especially because many people in my current ward are past the baby- making stage. I don't feel left out as often here. I'm still open to possibilities though. There's always room in my heart for a dream or two. And in the meantime, I've really taken to exercise. Running has always been a blessing to me and I'm finding it even more satisfying these days. I've really tried to make a concerted effort to try to become the person I know I can be- physically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally. ( is mentally even a word? Because if not, obviously, I've still got some work to do.). So, I've been making some goals like reading my scriptures and praying early on in my day, and being intentional about it, exercising a lot, writing in my journal, going to the temple a lot more, including my kids more in daily household tasks and things like that. I don't even know if I should even share these goals or not because I feel like they're ambitious, and I don't want to appear to be braggy about it, (especially because I'm not 100% at them, yet) and don't want to curse myself, or make myself seem really awesome. But I have found that it really is so satisfying to make goals, whatever they are, and actually reach them: to know the person you want to be and then make progress towards that. Trying to make each day positive and better than the one before. It's nice to have a sense of purpose.

14 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I feel lucky to be privy to so many awesome people through this little blog world. I am always so impressed and happy to read other people's take and perspective on things. It broadens our own understanding and talent. Plus, I always love to hear of how other people run their homes, things they are trying with their kids, what works and what doesn't. So keep us updated, I love to hear!

travelingtxmom said...

Your goals inspire me. And yes, mentally is a word and your use was perfect. :) With so many runners in the family I feel like I should try it, but I think my knees and I will stick to walking fast for now. I'm so excited to hear that Anders is finally on the charts, woohoo! And I love the ongoing drama of Aubs and her tooth, plus I can't wait to read the stories she writes. There is something so unfair about you not being there to take a reciprocal picture of Chad getting a shot, maybe next time...if there is one. Hope he's feeling better. Love you all!

Court and Jill said...

Inspiring :) Truly.

Grama said...

Great to read the news from Cypress Rosehill Rd. Happy that your home sold with any problem. Nice to hear that Andrew is getting chubby. :) Sorry to hear about Chad's back and hope it is getting better. We will be waiting to read some of Aubrey's stories. Yes, you have lofty goals and we are sure you will achieve each one as the days go by. Love YOU!

allison said...

Haha, you crack me up. Not with the stuff about reaching goals though, that stuff is all great. It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately too. And I'm totally on board with you with the whole bittersweetness of raising children...and you know mine are only 2 years and 2 months so I'm in trouble too. Miss you kids, and I'm so proud of that little Roo man as well!

allison said...

And I just thought of how mentally is a word because then wouldn't the title "mentally retarded" not be right? maybe it's not PC anyways but yeah, it has to be a word! ha

123 checkoutourfamily said...

I always love reading your blog. I get behind at times but if I see a Kristin post, I'm all over it. :) I can see where Aubrey got her writing skills for sure.

Congrats on the sale of your home. Gosh, you make it look so easy. ;)

Congrats to Andrew for chubbing up. Fantastic! He's the cutest little guy. I keep reminding Brayden that we'll do swim lessons with Andrew's grandma. the problem is we haven't seen you in so long that I think he's having trouble remembering Andrew. We need to fix that problem soon. ...a playdate or something.

Your goals are awesome and I love that you share them. Thanks for that. I think sometimes I try to do too much at once and feel like I've just climbed off a spinning tire swing.There's always so much to do.

Lisa said...

Ok, I have a lot to say about this post. First of all, what!!?? 22 piney way is sold? I didn't even know. I really need to talk to you more often. For reals.

Aubrey's tooth made me laugh. Heidi is anxiously awaiting the day when hers loosen, but I bet she'll freak out too when it actually happens.

Way to go Anders!! 3rd percentile!??!! Now that is something too be proud of. Bitty Girl is only in the 10th percentile for her BMI.

With all that neck and back pain, maybe you guys need a new mattress of something. Or maybe you need a legit vacation that doesn't involve judging debate tournaments.

I like your goals. I've been thinking about how you're trying to do scriptures early in the day over the last few days since I read this, and I've been trying to do the same. You inspired me!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Hooray for brudder man and Subrey! I really miss them. I want to see them this summer if I can. I can come to Texas and we can run together and talk about our goals, because I have a lot to. I know what it's like to be doing good things that keep you busy but at the same time knowing that there is a higher calling that I would much rather be doing. Not that you aren't doing that.

A lot of times I wish I lived by my sisters so that we could all share these things together. At first I tried to think that living close together wouldn't make things any happier necessarily, but the truth of the matter is that it would. Anyway, hopefully some day I can live close to one of you guys at least. That was a tangent. I'm glad to see the things you're thinking.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

p.s. We should turn into an event family - get together for races or triathlons and stuff. I have several friends here whose families do a race of some sort every year. Some years it's just funny because there are pregnant women, but walk or run, finish first or last, they do it! I feel like it would be really amazing if we did! We just need to pick an event and do it!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Also - I forgot to mention that Nate's sisters do at least one race together every year. They just started doing it a few years back but it's so awesome because they buy matching outfits and have loads of fun the night before eating and hanging out and then race day is awesome and recovery is just funny because they usually can't move. I want us to do that!

Lindsay said...

Oh B. This was a great post. I was laughing and reflecting. I love you. I get your drift and I've always appreciated your "this is my life and maybe it's not how I thought it'd be but I'm gonna give it my all" mentality. You are a good example. I'm grateful for those two hilarious children of yours. I just want to smooch them. And I'm telling you, Airrosti will change your life. XOXO

Lisa said...

Excuse me. Your blog died again. Could you please revive it?

Ashley Seil Smith said...

WRITE A NEW POST MAN! WITH YOUR NEW CAMERA AND SOME NEW PICTURES!!!! =)))

haha, my word verification is "rekin" - I rekin' you better be postin' soon!