Sunday, May 20, 2012

"Oh, Crap" Day

Today, I would like to call, "Oh, crap" day. For more than one reason. This is because today was finally the day the chickens learned to escape completely from their plastic pool in my garage. They've been liking their tastes of freedom in their coop by day and finally decided they'd had enough of confinement in the pool. I came home from church to find the chicken wire around the pool completely collapsed, and most of our 18 member flock wandering all over the inside of my garage. There were some, apparently, the more obedient, less flighty of the flock, still pecking around inside the pool. The rest had broken loose. And, oh, the poop that was on the floor. Let me give you an education on chicken poop, lest you think that it's all dainty and quaintly packaged, and cute as a fluffy baby chick. Chicken poop is gross. Some of it looks like bird poop, and the rest of it looks like tar, and is as sticky. And it stinks! When our hens were babies, I got pooped on once or twice. They were tiny fluffy adorable baby chicks, so I easily forgave them for pooping on my hand. Well, now that they're almost a month and a half old, I've gotten chicken poop on my hands, on my arms, on my legs, my feet, my clothes. And today, in addition to those places eventually, there was chicken poop all over the garage floor too. Quite appropriately, my first thought upon seeing it was, "Oh, crap!" And this time, I didn't forgive them so easily. They're not cute baby chicks anymore. I knew that if I left the poop in the garage, the garage would stink, it would attract flies, and if I let it dry, it would be harder to get off. The first task was to catch all the chickens and move them to their coop. Most of the escapees freaked out, like they always do, at the prospect of being caught (even though I always take them to their large and comfy coop- a better place than the pool- they just seem not to remember this) and some jumped back into the pool, maybe to try to get back on my good side. Unfortunately, I had no good side at this point. The rest, I went slipping and sliding through chicken tar poo as I chased them around the garage to take them outside. At one point I had the not so brilliant idea that maybe I could just herd them to the door of the coop from the garage. After chasing one errant chicken all over the yard, I gave up that idea and went to the tried and true method: trapping/catching them in a bucket. Once they were all safely deposited outside in their coop, I removed everything from my garage and turned on the hose and washed everything down. It took me a long time and all the while I was thinking about Chick Fil-A, KFC, and McNuggets. I think they'll live long enough to lay some eggs for us if they don't get killed by predators, or worse, by me.

This chicken escape plan has been in the works for a while now. They've been plotting and planning, I'm sure, for a while now, just like in Chicken Run. You see, I've seen them make trial runs of various components of their plan: this whole week, I've watched them flap their wings to give them lift enough to reach the top of the chicken wire. Then, they could be seen sitting on top of the chicken wire. Well, enough of them learn to do that, especially if they were smart enough to include Big Mama (she's not called Big Mama for nothin'), bingo, the chicken wire collapses and they're all free. I could see it coming. I guess I just hoped that day wouldn't come very soon. I just knew, that one day, I'd come out, and they'd be wandering around my garage with chicken poop all over the floor. That day was today.

9 comments:

Rainie said...

Kristin!! You are awesome! I'm so happy you took the plunge to become a chicken farmer. You show those chicks whose boss.

Lisa said...

Hahahah!!! I was so happy to finally put my chickens out in the coop for good. I hear you. They are cute as tiny babies and it was fun to keep them close by, but it was a happy day when the coop was fully operational.

Emma Jo said...

We all know that someday the kids will fly the coop...was that a bad joke? What about something about "one that flew over the cuckoo's nest", better? OK, I'll stop. PS My daughter is watching Chicken Little as we speak...and I may or may be craving a little Chick Fil A.

Grama said...

Oh my oh my! We did know that this day would come didn't we? We have a very vivid picture in our minds of you chasing the "cute chicks" around and around in the garage. Did you every think "Why did I ever do this?" Didn't the two other "mother hens" come to help you in the chase? We would love to see their new home and where it is situated. Does it compare with the luxury quarters Ben made for his chicks? Loved your blog!

Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud picturing this whole scenario in my mind! And then I had the wicked thought of calling you a "slick chick". But, of course, I thought better of it. After all, it's over, in the past, a dung deal... :)

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Hahahaha, well crap, this had me laughing out loud at work. I wish I'd been there to first see your reaction to their escape and second to watch you chase after them. I would have helped, too, I guess. Hahah. The adventures of chicken raising.

travelingtxmom said...

I am laughing at the comments but I wasn't laughing at your situation. My thought was just "Poor Kristin, that's disgusting. Can they be happy coopers for good now? :)

grammakelly said...

I was cracking up at work while my "bored" meeting was in progress. It was hard to keep it quiet. Way to go chicken mama!!

Lindsay said...

Oh man. I hope you got some stellar pictures. What an adventure those chickens are. :)